Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving Thoughts!

Ghost of Thanksgiving Past


I thought it would be fun to share memories of past Thanksgivings.... Feel free to go back in time however near or far you like, include experiences with your current family or your in-laws or your own family growing up.
MINE:
1. I remember the years we were living in Guam and had just gone through a Typhoon! (actually a couple of them back to back). We were will out power after this particular storm for 6 months. Well mostly with out power, they filtered in power in 2 hour shifts. So this particular holiday we had missionaries for dinner (all of the ones on that half of the island, about 6 or so) and we made spaghetti on a camp stove in great big pots. It was very interesting and a lot of FUN!!!
The next year we had to cook the turkey in our oven for 2 hours and then high tail it to a neighbors that had power for another 2 hours. We went back and forth all day depending on who had power to bake different things. It was an interesting couple of years worth of holidays.

4 comments:

Laura D said...

Wow! That is better than our Florida stories! Happy Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is soo fun I LOVE it!! it is probably my favorite holiday! If not tied with Christmas. :)

One kinda funny memory is I think 2 Thanksgivings ago we had a Bickmore family reunion in California. (They do every 2 yrs at Thanksgiving!) And it was a catered bbq meal!! Being that it was Thanksgiving and it is my Favorite I was a little bummed we were having bbq on Thanksgiving!! It was super good !but for me it took the spirit out of Thanksgiving. The meat was good and it was a traditional California tri tip ( special meat) bbq with beans, t , Buttery bread and special salad. But it was just NOT right being on Thanksgiving. So we begged and asked my sister in laws mom to make us a normal Thanksgiving the next day and she did. I was so happy :)

Also another thing we did a few times when growing up was a ton of us met at our friends house for pie in the morning!! That way we could really enjoy the pies before the BIG feast late afternoon! SO that was always fun one for us to do when I was growing up. We had a special name for it but being old age I forgot it! ")

Thanksgiving in my family is always a huge yummy meal. And thats how I like it. Just cooking all day with mom and sisters or whoever is around and enjoying playing games and eating ALL day!:) and just being together!

Ariana said...

Wow! What a wild Thanksgiving running back and forth to have access to power. I guess you got to know all your neighbors real well. ;-) Makes me grateful for my oven! :)

Janae said...

I didn't know you lived in Guam!! We use to visit Guam when I was a girl. Beautiful place.